Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Stumbled upon this....

So I had occasion to break out some of my old C.S. Lewis books and quote lists when discussing life with a friend a few weeks back... and one quote in particular has been weighing on my mind:

"A silly idea is current that good people do not know what temptation means. This is an obvious lie. Only those who try to resist temptation know how strong it is... A man who gives in to temptation after five minutes simply does not know what it would have been like an hour later. That is why bad people, in one sense, know very little about badness. They have lived a sheltered life by always giving in."

Too often I catch myself viewing the actions of others as bad, deplorable, what have you. However, I'm sure there are other things I do that are just as bad, just in a different way. I don't know what temptations are placed upon others, just as they don't know what tempts me. We are all "bad people" in some regard, there is something that each of us gives in to, without any fight, that is inherently bad. It isn't the same for everyone, for we aren't all the same.

I don't want to look back at my life and find that I've been "sheltered" by never resisting temptation.


Diet Update: The diet is going well, some weight loss, I certainly feel less fat.

BubbleSpinner Update: 34,254. Word to your mother.

1 comment:

Tat said...

Good 'ol Clive Staples.