Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Trevor: is complaining about Facebook.

Before I begin, I realize the inherent irony/hypocrisy in sharing the following the story via my blog.

I'm going to rail on technology for a second, as it is severely limiting my generation's ability to compute on their own.... or maybe my generation is just lazy. Probably both.

Jen is pregnant, this is the first time I've mentioned it on the blog or anywhere on the Internet. So feel special all 8 of you that read this blog. I don't think it is something that needs to be broadcast in an overt way through Facebook statuses or 'tweeting'. However, because every single person in my generation thinks that all life news, from the PBJ sandwich they had for lunch to the details of their various illnesses, needs to be shared via Facebook, not mentioning the pregnancy on Facebook can lead to some confusion.

I had a friend of ours approach me and timidly ask, "Are you guys pregnant?" After replying in the affirmative and the obligatory "Congratulations!" and "Thanks!" She followed up, "I heard that you were from some people, but then I checked Facebook and didn't see anything about it, so I wasn't sure."

Ugh. Really?

(This friend is an intelligent person, too. No offense to them if they read this, but I think even they can see the ridiculousness going on)

6 comments:

Nicole said...

You are so witty. I laughed at almost every word of this...

Leah Marie said...

Thats sad and funny at the same time. As a facebook addict, I know I should be more embarassed by it... but I'm not. ;-) I love me some facebook statuses!

Anonymous said...

I love it... Isn't Facebook silly? Congratulations you two!

Kate said...

OK, number #1 worst social behavior of our generation: using FB to broadcast the status of your failing/failed/trying again MARRIAGE! People, FB is not the place for this, nor does it qualify as therapy.

Thanks for this post - I've wanted to post about the ridiculousness myself, but I'm a terrified that the person I'm referring to above will somehow read it and know what I think about them (social honesty, scary right?). And congrats again!

Meghan said...

You just need to stay tuned for my thoughts on this very matter... It is a beautiful work in progress.

I KNEW there was a reason that we were friends!

Tat said...

Just wanted to let you know that I just updated my Facebook status to reflect that I read this post. Because if it's not on FB - it doesn't exist.