Monday, June 23, 2008

Assistantship

Put another one in the "It's better to be lucky and blessed than good" column... I got an assistantship.

After a few months of swinging and missing (à la the Florida State bats against Miami with runners-in-scoring-position), I was afforded an amazing opportunity by my program head, Dr. Joseph Beckham. He offered me a choice of two jobs that will pay me a small stipend as well as provide me with tuition grants for the coming school year. Both were far better than I deserve (in my mind) and one stood out greatly. So, I am taking the opportunity and running with it (à la Walter Dix and the Back-to-Back-to-Back National Champion Florida State Seminole Track and Field Team.)

For the next year I will be working with Florida State's President, Dr. T.K. Wetherell, developing courses in the Higher Education Department. This is new ground for both of us, so hopefully I won't mess it up too bad for him.

I am very grateful and humbled by this offer and look forward to getting back to school come August. This is a lesson to show that missing out on perceived opportunities is not always something bad, as I theoretically could have been offered other jobs in the past few months and missed on this extraordinary chance, but things have worked out in the absolute best way possible.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats The! That's great!

Micah said...

Congratulations. Your blog post reminds me of Doctrine & Covenants section 7. Desires happen.

Tat said...

See, I told you that whole wetting the bed thing wouldn't get in your way. Wait... is this a public blog?